Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Gluten Free – Tip: ensure to choose Gluten Free Buns!
- Dairy Free – Tip: ensure to choose Lactose Free cheese!
- 8 K-Roo kangaroo sausages
- 8 hot dog buns, of your choice
- ½ cup grated mozzarella, to serve
- 8 lettuce leaves, to serve
- 1-2 carrots, sliced into ribbons, to serve
- ½ bunch chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cockatoo Grove Signature olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ a 680ml bottle Ceres Organics tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- Murray River Salt, to taste
- For the tomato relish, place a medium saucepan over a medium low heat. Add olive oil and when hot, add the onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add the garlic, reduce heat slightly and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and are starting to caramelise.
- Pour in tomato passata, sugar and vinegar. Increase heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in the chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down. Season to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To cook the sausages, place them in a hot pan, drizzled with a little olive oil and cook for approximately 10-12 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally.
- For the bread, split down the middle and fill with a little bit of mozzarella cheese. Place under a preheated grill for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bun is warm and the edges are golden.
- To assemble, fill each bun with a piece of lettuce and a few carrot ribbons. Place a sausage in and top with generous spoonful’s of tomato relish and a sprinkle of finely chopped chives.
- To serve, arrange on a serving plate with extra tomato relish in a bowl on the side.